Manhasset, New York
The Island Neighborhood
Manhasset, New York is located in Nassau County.
Approx. Population 7,718
Between 1835 and 1845 the name "Manhasset" was generally adopted for the area previously known as Little Cow Neck.
The word itself: Manhasset, is a derivation of the Indian term "Manhanssett" which translates to mean "the island neighborhood". The "Manhansett" Indians inhabited Shelter Island. No mention was made of Manhasset's existence on the Burr Map of 1829, but the next edition in 1839 recognized the new title indicating its popular acceptance.
The first official mention of the new name in the town records referred to a meeting held "at the Inn of James Allen at Manhasset on Saturday the second day of December 1837, at which time the formation of the Jones Fund (an endowment made by Samuel Jones to the Town of North Hempstead to assist the town poor) was discussed.
The term "Manhasset" was not used again in the town records until 1842 when it was resolved that town meetings would be held alternately between Manhasset and Hempstead Harbor:
Did you know that Manhasset...
. . . is 8.5 miles square, broken down as follows:
Manhasset (unincorporated areas) 2.4 sq. mi.
Munsey Park .5 sq. mi.
Plandome Village .5 sq. mi.
Plandome Heights Village.5 sq. mi.
Plandome Manor Village 2 sq. mi.
* Flower Hill 1.6 sq. mi.
North Hills 2.8 sq. mi.
. . . has 13 Houses of Worship
. . . has 3 Public Schools
. . . has 6 private Schools
. . . is approximately 28 "Express minutes to Manhattan by Railroad
. . . has one of the lowest student - teacher ratios in Nassau County Public Schools of 12:1
. . . ranks in the top 5 of "spending per child" levels in the Nassau County Public School System
. . . has 80% of its students going on to 4 year colleges
. . . is in the
-- 3rd Congressional district
-- 7th Senatorial district
-- 16th Assembly district
. . . is actually the home of "Shelter Rock", an 1,800-ton boulder which arrived during the Ice Age, and is now one of the largest boulders on Long Island and a landmark
. . . is an Indian term which translates to mean "the Island Neighborhood"
. . . first welcomed the Long Island Railroad in June of 1898, almost 100 years ago, bringing with it the start of the modernization we know today.
* These figures also include small parts of other towns, as there are no definitive town boundaries within these villages.